Suamico is pronounced (swam ĭ kō). The name Suamico is believed to have come from the Menominee Indians
which means: Mäte Sue'mako Tusi'niniu, "Great Sand Bar People,"
on the sand dunes at what is now called Big Suamico, on Green Bay. Other sources also indicate that the name stands
for: beaver tail, yellow beaver, or swan.
Big Suamico was the unofficial name for the
river, township, and village called Suamico. It was used to distinguish themselves from the Little Suamico River and
Township immediately north in Oconto County. The Suamico and Fort Howard Road was the first declared county road in
Brown County laid out between Big Suamico and Fort Howard in 1849-50. It followed a former Indian trail. The Suamico
River flows generally eastward through Pittsfield and Suamico Townships into Green Bay.
was first established by Legislature on August 2, 1848, from Howard. It was apparently dropped when Oconto County was
established on February 6, 1851. It was then re-established to it's current size by the County Board on March 16,
1858. Suamico was an excellent farming country and raising stock was profitable. Industry of the 1850's
and 60's was milling and there were large sawmills along the Suamico River. The Suamico Post Office was established
on July 20, 1857, with John Bruce as Postmaster. It was platted by John Bruce in 1873.
settlers included: Burdon, Lamb, Davidson, Dickinson, Tremble, and Vickery.
was incorporated as a village in September 2003. The population is 11,346. It remains a commercial fishing area
Source: Cassidy, F.G. Brown County Wisconsin place names. 1963